Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Adventuring: Conqueror Style

Yesterday was a good day in our home despite the fact that The Conqueror woke at 4:45AM. Yes, you read that right. He was up for about 2 hours and then took a morning nap for about 2 1/2 hours. I was able to get a great deal of school stuff done and feel much, much better about my chances of not failing the class that has kept me up at night lately.

He awoke at 9:30 and was mostly pleasant, considering he has red, tender and swollen gums. This time, I know he is teething because one new tooth erupted on Thursday and the other areas are inflamed. He stayed up for about 3 hours and took a marathon (for him) 2 hour afternoon nap during which time I actually did a load of laundry in peace and read a magazine! Can you imagine???

After Her Highness arrived home via school bus, they spent some time basking in sibling love but, soon, friends stole her away from her biggest admirer. When she left, he was playing nicely in our mud room with shoes (and, yes, he was probably eating them and dirt but, honestly, he wasn't crying so I didn't mess with him. Pick your battles, I say.). So, I picked up my magazine again.

Shortly, I realized something. It was quiet. Too quiet. I jumped up, calling his name. No response. Immediately, I think he has somehow escaped and is crawling down the road. Impossible. Did he choke to death on dirt? Unlikely.

He did manage, with a little help from a big sis who forgot to close the door, to enter the powder room. Uh. Oh. Still saying his name, I approach with trepidation, fearing he is honey dipping, as my mother would say, or playing in the potty, as I would say. I was relieved to discover he was not. He was, however, feasting on toilet paper. And it. was. everywhere. Mostly, though, it was in his mouth, which explains the silence.

I should have known not to be lulled into complacency. That is what he was waiting for...

5 comments:

Patois42 said...

Of all the things he could have been doing in the bathroom, it's nice to know it was just the toilet paper he was messing with. Conquering new lands each and every day, that lad is!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Ahhh yess, I haven't learned much yet. But I have learned, like you said, that silence = trouble!

I agree with patois, luckily it was only toilet paper. i just was at another blog where a toddler (a-hem) emptied the bowl contents. So count yourself lucky Toni! :)

Cynthia said...

Yes, when it gets to quiet in our house, I know The Little Man is into the toilet paper. He thinks it is the funest (is that a word?) thing ever!

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

Ah, yes. The Dreaded Quiet.

You made me think of The Toilet Paper Incident

:-)

Kellan said...

I love that last line! I can remember a 100 times I went running to find one of my kids - and ... I'm still doing it. See ya.