Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #8: Songs I Listen To Over And Over

  1. "Devil Went Down To Georgia" by Charlie Daniels Band. My then best friend and I would listen to this song every day my senior year of high school to get pumped before class. It still gets my juices flowing (yeah, I have some redneck tendencies).
  2. "Fancy" by Reba McEntire. I used to drink too much and sing this at karaoke when I was much younger. I still crank the radio when it comes on Sirius.
  3. "Jack and Diane" by John (Cougar) Mellancamp. Loved it as a little kid and now it is my ringtone!
  4. "Summer of 69" by Bryan Adams. I have always really liked Bryan Adams, even as a kid just getting into music. This album, Cuts Like A Knife, rocked then and now.
  5. "MMM MMM MMM" by Crash Test Dummies. My little brother and I used to rock out to this song. We didn't see eye to eye on many things and this song makes me think of him.
  6. "Mr. Jones" by Counting Crows. I am a child of the eighties and a late teen of the nineties. I love Counting Crows. Love them.
  7. "If I Had A Million Dollars" by Barenaked Ladies. A chubby Canadian and some silly lyrics about a Plymouth Reliant? What's not to love?
  8. "Me and You" by Kenny Chesney. First dance at my wedding song. 'Nuff said.
  9. "When I Get Where I'm Going" by Brad Paisley and Dolly Parton. It is a song about going to heaven and I just love listening to it.
  10. "Travelin' Soldier" by Dixie Chicks. This song was on the album that came out right around 9/11 and it just touched me. Politics aside, these ladies rock. My daughter, my niece and I always play Dixie Chicks when we are driving around together.
  11. "Buffalo Soldier" by Bob Marley. I know, reggae mixed in with all that country? I said I had redneck tendencies, not that I am a redneck!
  12. "Cowboy Take Me Away" by Dixie Chicks. A love song. Gotta throw one in and this is a great one!
  13. "8th of November" by Big and Rich. These guys are a not usually my style but this is a true story about a battle during Vietnam and it is a fantastic song.
(This is a brief list and so many more could be added, what's one of yours?)

To find more Thursday Thirteens, go here.

12 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I'm an 80's child too. So I totally get this list. My favorite? Buffalo Soldier. LOVE that song.

Malcolm said...

A friend of mine sang "MMM MMM MMM" at karaoke a couple of weeks ago and nailed it. I hadn't heard that song in quite some time. I liked what you said about The Dixie Chicks. It seems that you may not care for their politics, but that doesn't stop you (nor should it) from liking their music.

One of my favorite songs is "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry. He still ranks as one of rock and roll's greatest guitarists and storytellers.

Melanie said...

My husband loves #1..

Anonymous said...

I think I remember 1 and 4.

candyQ said...

I love Summer of '69! :o)

Head Gaggler said...

Great list, love the Dixie Chicks too.

Anonymous said...

I love all the oldies you have!

Bloggers said...

i love this post.

DIXIECHICK said...

I agree with you on the Dixie Chicks....love them...what southern girl doesn't? All of your choices were dead on with music I like...I love Reba too...seen her in concert twice, when she sings Fancy, it is amazing...she goes from frumpy to beautiful lady right before your eyes....amazing.
Great post!

Unknown said...

I love Buffalo Soldier, too. There's a town named Buffalo on our way home & Pup now just glares if I even think to start singing it. AND, that you included the Cougar before Mellencamp? I LOVE YOU TONI!! That is the ONLY way his name should ever be written. Not sure about the country tho...sorry. Is this weird or what? I'm the Texan. You're the Midwesterner?

Cynthia said...

I can sing to you all of Devil Went Down to Georgia. Most people hate when I do it;)

Kellan said...

I like #1 and #9! This was a great list.

Thanks for being such a good friend - I am glad to know you and hope you know that I appreciate your support and hope you know that I also love your site and enjoy being a part of your life. Take care my friend - see you soon. Kellan