Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Still


The rocking chair squeaks as Liam and I settle in. He wiggles and jabbers. I sigh, thankful the day is nearly done.

Clutching his satin baby blue blankie, he settles in with his head on my chest. His hair, still slightly damp, smells of Aveeno baby wash. His jammies smell of Dreft and allow me to believe he is still small, although he is far from that these days.

A toddler- a little boy- now cozies into this spot once occupied by a baby. I marvel at how his fingers, once so tiny and chubby, now grasp the snagged satin with startling strength. His legs now dangle to my knees.

Each day, he grows. And each day, he learns something new. And I must bid goodbye to the baby that has grown into a little guy who shouts "Mama" at 5AM.

As his long- so long- lashes dip sleepily onto his soft, pale cheeks, I cannot resist and allow myself to kiss that tiny mouth. He smiles and chatters momentarily, then drifts into slumber.

These moments of quiet, of calmness, come less often all the time. He needs to run! to jump! to climb! Sleep is less elusive than before and I linger like this, holding onto him and drink in the smells, the sight and the sounds of my little boy who was once, not so long ago, my baby.





10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bedtime is one of my favorite times of day, too. :) And, they do grow up - sadly.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

This reminds me of that Trace Adkins song, Your Gonna Miss This - oh so true!

Jennifer said...

I remember willing my son to get out of babyhood. So foolish of me! Those precious (and few) times we get to snuggle lately is makes me long for those days.

Mom to 4 said...

Oh, I miss those days! My son, up until shortly after he turned 8, would get out of bed each morning and climb into my lap and curl up to snuggle. I miss it sooo much! But, sometimes when he isn't feeling very good, or he can tell that I need it, he comes over, sits down right next to me, and leans against me for some "snugglin".

Kellan said...

Oh, this was so sadly sweet. Hang onto every precious moment - it will fly by before you know it!

Take care and have a good week - Kellan

Anonymous said...

Oh, this made me teary. I feel that way every time I look at my little Ally. Where did the time go?!?!?

Head Gaggler said...

Awww, how beautiful. Man, I can so relate as my little one is growing up way too fast too.

Missy said...

you are going to make me cry!
I do love the snuggles and cuddles and Pooky still loves to give me. Will he always be that way?? I don't want him to grow up!

Cynthia said...

The Little Man is in the same place...I miss my babies!

Bradley's Mom said...

Such a sweet post!

Hope all is well with you!