Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Not Going To The Chapel

So, I just found out one of my two oldest friends is getting married in 9 days.

Yep, 9 days.

We aren't that close anymore- I have kids, she doesn't. I'm happily married for 10 years and she's been divorced for 5.

I am happy for her that she is getting remarried. I am just really freaking a bit hurt that she called and told me all about it and then told me she would email pictures to me.

I was her matron of honor and she was mine.

I didn't want to be in her wedding- really, how many times can you be a bridesmaid and still enjoy it?- but I expected and wanted to be invited.

I wasn't.

It was okay at first because she said it was small and family only. Then, as the conversation continued, she said that there would be a cocktail hour and a catered sit down dinner and dancing. She has a mom, brother and one living grandparent and that is it family-wise. The groom has 2 siblings, parents and a grandfather. Who is going to be dancing if it is just family only?

Now, I am hurt and angry and need to send a present.

So, I need your help.

I want to send a lovely, wonderful present that makes her regret that she excluded me from her wedding.

Any ideas?


5 comments:

Missy said...

I am generally a lousy gift giver, so no ideas here. I do think it was kinda rude for her to tell you details about the wedding and reception that she obviously knew you weren't invited to... I say send a card with a nice congrats message and call it a day.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Nothing says "Die Bitch And Enjoy Your Honeymoon" like a gift certificate to the dollar store.

Or a card (where the names are mis-spelled).

Okay, I'll stop.

Cynthia said...

OK, I'm confused...why do you have to send her a present? She just told you 9 days before the wedding that she was getting married...I'd skip the whole thing:P

Anonymous said...

I think that's beyond rude. I mean seriously cruel. If you didn't get invited, you really DO NOT need to send a present.

Allie said...

OMG, I'm still cracking up from the "Die Bitch and Enjoy Your Honeymoon" comment and Dollar Store suggestion from Mamageek! I KNOW who you're talking about, Tone, and this whole thing just blows! What crosses my mind is something more along the lines of a sympathy card...to HIM...because we all KNOW he's going to need it! Or a DVD of What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Or an etiquette book? Or, remember that time she had her mouth wired shut to realign her teeth? Maybe she needs another supply of wire so she can keep her mouth shut!?!? Geez.