Monday, June 9, 2008

Ingenuity

Summer vacation began about 10 days ago. There are good and bad things about summer: I appreciate the less structured routine for my daughter. My son, though, at 17 months still thinks 5:45 is the perfect time to rise and shine.

I did something a little sneaky this year, though. I convinced my daughter that attending a half day summer camp at school for 4 weeks (beginning today! woot!) would be the perfect cure for the dreaded seven letter word of summer- BOREDOM!

Back when you and I were little, this summer camp would have simply been called summer "school" but the savvy folks in our district refer to it as "camp" to trick kids and parents into it. No trickery needed on my part 'cause I think three hours of FREE babysitting by a teacher with a Master's Degree sounds darn near heavenly. Not to mention the snacks, learning and recess? Sign me up! I only wish there was a program for the little man...

Kidding! Okay, not really!

She and her dad needed a little prodding and convincing but I did it! She's going today and every Monday - Thursday until July 3. Ahh. It was much easier to convince her of this than that the orange and yellow Starburst are the good ones and she should make Mommy eat the red and pink ones.

Yep, that's me. I am a wicked, wicked lady. Just think if I used these powers for good instead of evil....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny - you evil, evil woman!

Anonymous said...

You actually convinced her red & pink were the bad ones? WOW. I'm impressed. Summer "camp" is a GREAT idea!

Kristi said...

I am struggling already to find things for Noah to do. We have swimming lessons for two weeks and VBS, but I fear that it is not enough for him. I didn't get on the ball enough to get the phone numbers of the kids in his class so I can't call them for play dates. Luckily, the boredom hasn't set in yet. He's still enjoying not being forced to eat breakfast in a half hour so we can rush out the door. And I ma already dreading it next year.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Like you said, I just wish there was a summer camp for us to go to!

Now we know where little Liam gets his genius genes from - YOU!

On a side note, I imagine having a 7 year old around must be a GREAT help? Am I clueless here? Likely. Yes.

DIXIECHICK said...

I am thinking of sending Aaron the eight year old to art camp. Only problem is we have one car, not sure how I can arrange drop off and pick up. Plus, it's not free...kind of expensive. I think it's a great idea for her to go...keeps her busy. I don't want my two young ones to spend their days in front of the tv.....so, hopefully I can send them somewhere. Good for you you "evil" mom...lol.

Missy said...

That sounds wonderful. I would love to have a few hours with one less kid, even just for a couple of weeks. And I am sure that she will have a blast, which is also important. :)

Kellan said...

You are pretty smart! Hope she has fun and you have FUN!

See you soon - Kellan

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Ha, I so get the DONE IS DONE part. Ask Claire if she wants to come to Camp Geek for the summer! :)

Life As I Know It said...

Sounds like a perfect plan!

Dana said...

Too funny-If only I had thought of it as Summer "camp" then it would have convince my son to go. He's still going even if he doesn't want to.

Cynthia said...

Way to go Mom! I would love to have a summer camp option...love it!