Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Potty Training

Obviously, Her Highness is already potty trained. At seven, that goes without saying, right? Well, I ran across this and freaked out a little. Can you imagine beginning potty training at birth? C'mon. Doesn't seem possible to me.

Now, I am all for potty training. I am not one of those who believes in child-guided potty training. For one, diapers are expensive, particularly as the child gets older and bigger and there are fewer in each package. Two, I think it is our job as parents to help our child learn to do these things, like use a fork, spoon, knife and go potty in the potty.

Not to say that my potty training resume is flawless. It so isn't. HH did great with peeing in the potty and was trained in that respect by, oh, I think it was 2 years and 2 months. Pooping was a completely different story. Yeah, that was a freakin' nightmare. For some reason, she was afraid to go #2 in the toilet. Don't ask me why because I have no idea.

So, until she was a month or so over age 3, she pooped in a diaper or her panties. Nasty. Now, HH was eating the same foods that you and I eat so you get an idea of what we dealt with everyday when this happened. Ugh, I am shuddering at the memory.

I am hoping that The Conqueror will not get sucked into the pooping in his diapie trap that HH did. I don't really know how I started that so I am unsure as to how to prevent it but I am very determined that when he is around two and we begin the incessant "Do you have to go potty?" that that will mean #1 and #2. Keep your fingers crossed.

So, to any tree huggers out there who are willing to try to train their infant to go pee on command in order to save the world or bond, good luck. My gas guzzling SUV and I wish you all the best.

No comments: